Ternary Binder system is a new innovative and versatile binder that offers superior strength, durability, and workability compared to their binary counterparts.
Introduction to Ternary Binder Systems
Ternary binder systems comprise three main components: Portland cement (OPC), supplementary cementitious materials (SCMs), and chemical admixtures. By combining these three binding agents in different ratios, construction companies can create composite materials with specific properties that can be tailored to fit the needs of a particular project. For example, ternary binder systems can be designed to meet specific performance requirements, such as strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion.
Components of Ternary Binder Systems
- Portland Cement – Portland cement is a widely used hydraulic cement made by heating a mixture of limestone, clay, and other minerals in a kiln at high temperatures. The resulting product is then ground into a fine powder commonly used as a binder in construction materials such as concrete, mortar, and grout.
In ternary binder systems, Portland cement is often used along with other cementitious materials such as fly ash, slag, or silica fume to improve the properties of the concrete.
- Supplementary Cementitious Materials (SCMs) – Supplementary cementitious materials (SCMs) can be used in concrete as a partial replacement for Portland cement. These materials are typically waste products from industrial processes, such as fly ash from coal-fired power plants, slag from steel production, or silica fume from the production of silicon and ferrosilicon alloys.
- Chemical Admixtures – Chemical admixtures are materials added to concrete mixtures to modify their properties or behaviour. They improve the workability, strength, durability, and other performance characteristics of concrete. Some of the main types of chemical admixtures include air-entraining agents, water reducers, retarders, accelerators, and superplasticisers.
Advantages of Ternary Binder Systems
- Increased Strength – Ternary binder systems can create stronger concrete by combining OPC with supplementary cementitious materials and chemical admixtures. This is because these binders can increase and speed up hardening.
- Unmatched Durability – Ternary binder systems provide tools to help increase the durability of a building project by using different chemical admixtures like accelerants, retarders, air-entrainment agents, and superplasticisers. These admixtures help control the rate at which a material sets and improves its resistance to cracking, abrasion, corrosion, and water damage.
Shop quality Raw Materials From Bisley & Company
Always choose the best when selecting suitable raw materials to craft a ternary binder system. Bisley & Company’s selection of ternary binder system ingredients is top-notch, so you can be confident that your construction material will turn out as expected. Get in touch with one of our team today.