Silica Fume for High Performance Concrete, Shotcrete, Fibre Cement and Oil Well Drilling.
Bisley and Company are major suppliers of Silica Fume (or Microsilica) throughout the Middle East, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Silica fume is an ultra-fine powder consisting of nearly spherical particles around 100 times smaller than a grain of cement. When introduced into concrete these fine particles assist to fill the voids which exist between the cement paste / aggregate matrix. Additionally, Silica Fume reacts with the free lime which is present in all OPC concretes to form additional quantities of strong-binding CSH (Calcium Silicate Hydrate) gel. CSH is a principal binding component in OPC concrete. By replacing weak-binding lime with more CSH, silica fume significantly enhances the overall compressive strength of the mix. This extra CSH further assists in refining the pore structure of the concrete.
Silica Fume is sometimes confused with fumed silica, fused silica or silica flour. These products, however, have quite different technical characteristics and are not acceptable substitutes in concrete applications.
Bisley supplies Silica Fume in more than 20 countries. In Asia, Bisley delivers the product through its offices in Singapore, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. Stocks are maintained at strategic points in the region.
Silica Fume supplies to Australia and New Zealand are coordinated through Bisley’s Sydney Head Office.
Bisley’s Dubai office takes care of projects in the Middle East Gulf and surrounding countries. Customers include major contractors, readymix concrete suppliers and concrete admixture companies.
All concrete grade Silica fume supplied by Bisley is quality assured to the ASTM C1240 Silica Fume Standard. Consistent, predictable performance is assured under the most demanding conditions.
The Company is proud to have been associated with many important High Performance Concrete projects in the world including:
- Salalah Port Project, Oman
- Manama-Muhurraq Causeway, Bahrain
- City Centre Project, Bahrain
- Emirates Palace Hotel, Abu Dhabi
- Dubai Metro Project
- Qatalum Aluminium Smelter, Qatar
- Doha Expressway, Qatar
- Doha Port Container Terminal, Qatar
- Qatargas LNG project, Ras Laffan, Qatar
- QAFCO Expansion Project, Qatar
- The Pearl, Qatar
- Ras Laffan Port Expansion, Qatar
- Wadi Lebran Cable Stayed Bridge, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Aramco Ras Tanura Oil Refinery Upgrade, Saudi Arabia
- Sceco Ghazlan Power Station, Saudi Arabia
- Shoiaba Desalination Plant, Saudi Arabia
- Petrokemya Olefin Separation Plant, Jubail, Saudi Arabia
- Beirut International Airport Project, Lebanon
- Kali Gandaki Hydroelectric Plant, Nepal
- Tehri Hydropower Project, India
Characteristics of Silica Fume Concrete:
- Significantly enhanced compressive strength
- Significantly reduced permeability
- Improved corrosion resistance
- Improved pumpability
- Improved cohesion / resistance to segregation
- Improved adhesion
- Improved abrasion resistance
- Increased electrical resistivity
- Improved resistance to most sulphates and various other forms of chemical attack.
Applications for Silica Fume:
- Marine concrete
- High strength concrete
- Concrete subjected to aggressive groundwater conditions
- Chemical plants
- Industrial floors subject to high abrasion levels
- Dams and spillways for strength and abrasion resistance
- Fibre Cement
- Shotcrete, for reduced rebound, and improved cohesion / adhesion
- Drymix grouts and mortars / repair concrete
- Refractory mortars
- Jobs requiring long pump lines
- Watertight basements.
Photo Captions :
- The Salalah Port Project, Oman showcases Bisley`s expertise in delivering large volumes of quality assured Silica Fume to remote locations around the world.
- Electron Microscope Photograph of Silica Fume. The largest particles here are less than 0.5 micron in diameter.